Mykonos | Mykonos Greece Pictures Photos Images & Fotos { 127 images } Created 4 Aug 2010

Pictures of Mykonos Island Greece, Mykonos is a Greek island, part of the Cyclades, lying between Tinos, Syros, Paros and Naxos. In ancient times, Mykonos, due to its proximity to the then highly populated island of Delos (situated about 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) away), became very important as a supply island and possibly as a getaway location for Delian citizens. In Greek mythology Mykonos was the location of the battle between Zeus and the Titans, and the island was named in honor of Mykons, son of Anios who was a son of Apollo and nymph named Rio. The Mykonos windmills are iconic feature of the Greek island of the Mykonos. The island is one of the Cyclades islands, which neighbour Delos in the Agean Sea. The windmills can be seen from every point of the village of Mykonos, the island's principal village, which is oftenly called the Chora (which translates to "Country" in Greek, but refers to an island's "Town") on Greek islands. The windmills are the first thing seen when coming into the harbour of Alefkandra, as they stand on a hill overlooking the area. Most windmills face towards the North where the island's climate sources its strongest winds over the largest part of the year. There are currently 16 windmills on Mykonos of which seven are positioned on the famous landmak hill in Chora. Most of them were built by the Venetians in the 16th century, but construction continued into the early 20th century.

The Church of Panagia Paraportiani is situated in the neighbourhood of Kastro, in the town of Chora, on the Greek island of Mykonos. Its name literally means "Our Lady of the Side Gate" in Greek, as its entrance was found in the side gate of the entrance to the Kastro area.
The building of this church started in 1425 and was not completed until the 17th century. This impressive, whitewashed church actually consists of five other churches attached all together: the four churches (Saint Estathios, Saint Sozon, Saints Anargyroi and Saint Anastasia) are all on the ground and constitute the base of the fifth church that has been built on top of them. This architectural spottiness has made Panagia Paraportiani the most photographed church on Mykonos.

Petros was a Great White Pelican, who was the official mascot of the Greek island of Mykonos.
In 1958 a wounded pelican was found off the coast of Mykonos shore by a local fisherman. The pelican was nursed to health and remained on the island supported by locals. It soon adopted the name “Petros”, as a joke between the locals, as "petro" in Greek means rock, stone but metaphorically Old and Grumpy[citation needed]. To great disappointment by locals and tourists alike, Petros was hit by a car on 2 December 1985 and failed to recover.

Buy as high resolution stock royalty free images of travel images to download on line or buy as photo art prints.
View: 100 | All

Loading ()...