Our Lady of The Rocks Island Kotor Bay - Photos Images Pictures of { 50 images } Created 4 Aug 2009

Pictures images and photos of Our Lady of the Rocks Island and church and St Georges Island ( Sveti Đorđe island) Kotor Bay, Montenegro. Our Lady of the Rocks is one of the two islets off the coast of Perast in the Bay of Kotor, Montenegro. It is an artificial island created by bulwark of rocks and by sinking old and seized ships loaded with rocks. The Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady of the Rocks is the largest building on the islet; it has a museum attached. According to legend, the islet was made over the centuries by local seamen who kept an ancient oath after finding the icon of Madonna and Child on the rock in the sea. The church was renovated in 1722. The church contains 68 paintings by Tripo Kokolja, a famous 17th-century baroque artist from Perast. His most important painting, ten meters long, is The Death of the Virgin. There are also paintings by Italian artists, and an icon (circa 1452) of Our Lady of the Rocks, by Lovro Dobričević of Kotor.
View: 100 | All

Loading ()...